Alison Dowsett MFA, BFA
professional editorial services for authors and academics
image courtesy of Pixel Ink
Journal articles, theses, syllabi, books, proposals, grants.
Fast turnarounds. Most publishing houses do not employ proofreaders anymore, so after the copyediting is signed off by you, it’s to the printers…stop this insanity and ensure your research is presented in the best possible light by hiring a proofreader.
Begins with analysis-based assessment of material to clarify themes, improve organization, audience congruence. Progresses into editorial conversations to decide how to work together as author-editor to best results in agreed upon timeframe.
Consultations always include consideration of publishing and marketability as well as analysis-based assessment of material to clarify themes, improve organization, audience congruence. Like development editing except we stop there and you run with the feedback.
- All project quotes are assessed using word count and the Canadian industry standards set by Editors Canada
- Rates start at $85.00/hour CAD
- Quotes are based on project length, turnaround, level of edit required
- For academics, rates take into consideration tenured vs. untenured faculty
- For independent authors without funding, rates are flexible. Please get in touch to discuss
For a quote, please provide:
- A description of the project
- A description of other editing/workshopping/beta reading treatment it’s been through to date
- Level of editing required
- Word count
- Turnaround time
- An 8-10 page sample
I am a writer and editor with a background in cultural, literary and academic publishing. I have two creative writing degrees and an endless passion for stories and ideas. My written work has appeared in subTerrain, Plenitude, and the Science Creative Quarterly. I served as Prose & Reviews Editor with Plenitude and recently copyedited Building Abolition: Decarceration and Social Justice, Routledge (2021).
Copyright Alison Dowsett MFA, BFA – All rights reserved